Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Sleepiness Is Weakness of Character

Well, Jayne had an interesting afternoon to say the least.

At around 4 or so, after Shay had gone out to visit with her parents and brother, our AML doctor and the head nurse came into the room.  They said that they needed to tell me something about Jayne and they wanted mom in the room.  She was incommunicado, so they decided to just tell me.  They started off by saying the worst thing a doctor could possibly say:  "You might want to sit down."  

Really?  I might want to sit down?  How about you just tell me what's going on instead of giving me the Grey's Anatomy?  I'm a big boy whose little guy has been diagnosed with leukemia, I'm pretty sure I can take whatever you're about to throw my way without fainting into a pile of clothes.  I didn't, of course say that, I don't want Jayne to pick up on my snarkiness just yet; he's too young to be an asshole.

It turned out that there had been a mix up with Jayne's antibiotics earlier and he got a larger dose than he was supposed to have received.  They had called the toxicology and poison control department and got them working on what they could expect from such a mishap.

Now, it wasn't a life threatening issue, so simmer down all of you out there grasping the sides of your computer, wailing aloud, gnashing teeth, beating breast, rending flesh.  It was especially innocuous since the overage was slight, even if still worrying.  The most serious side effect was mainly neurological with said antibiotic, in the form of seizures, confusion, lapse in memory, and suddenly reciting lines from "Flowers for Algernon".  After the doctor had left, telling me that the head of poison control was on his way to discuss Jayne's situation with me, I called Shay back, apprised her of the situation and Jayne and I hung out on the couch, him chewing on his monkey's tag, me trying to figure out if he was spontaneously morphing into Cliff Robertson.

The poison control doctor told me that he had received a small dose over the limit and that we should keep an eye out for the aforementioned seizure or some sort of neurological jerkiness.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that, at five months old, most of his motions are jerky and erratic.  With the symptoms to keep an eye for disclosed, he said that they would hold off on his next few antibiotic treatments until his kidneys had successfully filtered out the offending drug.  This wasn't really an issue, since his kidneys are functioning rather well and they keep an eye on his intake/output like hawks on smaller hawks.

Everything is still in order; he is as flirtatious and ostentatious as ever.  He's eaten a bit, thrown up a bit more than usual today, which is nothing to worry about, and even managed to put himself to sleep while Shay got ready to feed him.  Right now, the nurse it attempting to administer one of his oral medicines, with varying degrees of success.  It's really the only time he's been upset today and part of it is due to the fact that he is getting rather sleepy.  And with that sentiment still fading from the tips of my fingers, we three bid you goodnight.  May the sheep not accost you.

1 comment: